... the original Point Lookout Lighthouse was built on the Chesapeake Bay, at the entrance to the Potomac River in 1830. In 1862, during the Civil War, the site was expanded and a hospital was built to care for wounded Union soldiers. In 1863, a second story was added to the building. The same year, captured Confederate wounded were sent to the hospital and the site was turned into the Camp Hoffman prison camp, incarcerating 20,000 prisoners. The building was enlarged again and converted into a duplex in 1927. Now... the Point Lookout Lighthouse is decommissioned and considered "haunted"... commissioned art for Bella Terra Publishing. Bella Terra Maps.