CSX on the West Philadelphia High Line at Franklin Field . Watercolor . 12" x 16"


... CSX #7631, a GE C40-8 locomotive... leads #5412, a GE ES44DC... at the head of a train of container cars on the West Philadelphia Elevated Branch - High Line. The West Philadelphia High Line was built by the Pennsylvania Railroad (completed in 1904) to bypass their 30th Street Passenger Station and all of the industrial congestion below, located at that time along the west side of the Schuylkill River. Construction of this still very active rail viaduct predates the now defunct New York City High Line by 25 years. The West Philadelphia High Line was built as a two track right of way, close to fifty feet high in some areas and extends from the former Pennsylvania Railroad Zoo Junction & Interlocking Tower to the old Arsenal Junction Tower near University Avenue. The Pennsylvania Railroad merged with the New York Central Railroad to became the Penn Central Railroad in 1968... which was then merged into the CONRAIL system, which existed from 1976 to 1999. Currently the High Line is owned and operated by CSX which shares the track with the Norfolk & Southern Railway. And... I have seen lashups with both N&S and CSX power heading trains on this high line. More recently, "cross country" run-through power has shown up, using the line to move long tank trains of Bakken crude from North Dakota.

The University of Pennsylvania's iconic Franklin Field was first built in 1895. A second version was designed by architect Frank Miles Day & Brother and constructed in 1905 and the present facility was designed by Day & Klauder and completed in 1922. Franklin Field is the oldest football stadium in continuous use in the United States and home to the Penn Relays... the largest track-and-field event in the Country, since April of 1895.

A Giclee Print is available of this watercolor painting / railroad art.




james mann art farm
© 2014 all rights reserved

url: http://www.jamesmannartfarm.com