EMD GP30 Southern #2601 leading GP9 Norfolk & Western #620 . Spencer . North Carolina . Watercolor . 14" x 20"
... The Electro-Motive Division of General Motors built just shy of a thousand of these 2,250 horsepower, diesel-electric locomotives between 1961 and 1963. Constructed over the previous GP20 frame, the new GP30 was fabricated with a higher body to enclose the addition of an upgraded turbocharger, central air intakes, electrical cabinet and dynamic brakes... all located behind the cab. Most GP30s were built with a low forward hood, but both the Southern (SOU) and Norfolk & Western Railways (NW) preferred and typically ordered their units with a high, front hood. Southern alone purchased 120 of these units... while the Norfolk & Western acquired 44. On the other hand... of the nearly four thousand, 1,750 horsepower, GP9s built by EMD from 1954 to 1963... the Norfolk & Western owned 306, while the Southern, in it's various guises owned just 13. The Norfolk & Western and the Southern merged in 1982, forming the Norfolk Southern (NS). Currently, GP30 #2601 and GP9 #620 reside and are operating at the North Carolina
Transportation Museum in Spencer.
The Spencer Series