| Pensacola Lighthouse . Gulf of Mexico . Florida . Watercolor . 12" x 9"
... Following visits by Ponce de Leon, Panfilo de Narvaez and Hernando de Soto, Spain established a settlement in 1559 at Pensacola, on the coast of what is
now known as the Gulf of Mexico. But it wasn't until the United States bought Florida from Spain between 1819-1821... that a lighthouse was built in 1824...
slightly east of the present tower's location. That light was replaced between 1856 and 1859 with a new 151-foot tower. The present tower has taken a few canon
shot during the U.S. Civil War, been rattled by earthquakes, struck by lightening, hammered by hurricanes and suffered the invasion of a flock of disoriented
ducks that smashed through the lantern room. The Pensacola Light Station entered the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. From our 2011 trip.