| Marblehead Lighthouse . Massachusetts . Watercolor . 12" x 9"
... the Marblehead light is located at the northern end of Marblehead Neck, in Chandler Hovey Park. This is a 130 foot tall, cast iron, still active Coast Guard tower, built in 1896. The original Marblehead lighthouse was a 23 foot tall, white masonary structure with an attached keeper's house, first lit in 1835. By 1895, inadequacies had accumulated and a taller tower was deemed necessary. This iron skeleton type tower, the only example of it's type in New England, was built over the site of the first light. This lighthouse painting was commissioned by Bella Terra Publishing. Bella Terra Maps.