St. Johns Lighthouse . Naval Station Mayport . Florida . Watercolor . 12" x 9"
... this is the second lighthouse marking the mouth of the Saint Johns River... this one being on the Atlantic coast of Florida. The 64-foot tall, art deco styled, unequal octagon block tower, stands on a bluff overlooking the ocean. This tower was erected in 1954 to replace the Coast Guard's "Saint Johns" light ship... which had replaced the first St. Johns light tower, located further inland on the naval base. A pair of flat roofed, block buildings extending at ninety degrees to each other, at the base of the tower, remain in use by the Coast Guard. There was no lantern room in the design, although a plastic dome once covered the optics. Currently the active light is an exposed, solar powered beacon. The facility remains the property of the US Coast Guard and is located within the boundaries of Naval Station Mayport.