Jeffrey's Hook Lighthouse and the George Washington Bridge . Hudson River . New York . Watercolor . 12" x 16"


...the lighthouse on Jeffrey's Hook originally stood at Sandy Hook, New Jersey and is very similar in design to the steel, East Chop light in Massachusetts. The Sandy light was relocated to Jeffrey's in 1921, to mark a treacherous navigational hazard of land that hooked out into the water from the east bank of the Hudson River. This red steel tower stood alone until 1927 when ground was broken for the George Washington Bridge. The bridge opened in 1931 and by 1948 the Jeffrey's Hook Lighthouse was rendered obsolete under the illuminated brilliance of the new bridge. Following a Coast Guard decision to dispose of the light and responding to overwhelming popular citizen support, heavily influenced by a Hildegarde Swift and Lynd Ward, children's book, titled "The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge", the Coast Guard gave it to the City of New York. The little red, Jeffrey's Hook, lighthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. The Lighthouse is 40 feet tall. The George Washington Bridge is 604 feet tall, 4,760 feet long, with 212 feet of clearance at the center... carrying two decks of traffic across the Hudson River every day and night. This is it on a late August, Thursday morning in 2016.


A Giclee Print is available of this watercolor painting / lighthouse art > Details & Overview Here.



james mann art farm
© 2016 all rights reserved

url: http://www.jamesmannartfarm.com