Fire Island Lighthouse . Fire Island National Seashore . New York . Watercolor & Gouache . 9" x 12"
... Fire Island is a very long and skinny barrier island located south of Long Island, New York. An 85 foot-tall octagonal, stone tower was erected in 1826 to mark the entrances to Fire Island Inlet and the lower bay of New York. Eventually deemed as insufficient in range, a replacement tower was constructed approximately 200 yards to the northeast of the first. This new, 168 foot tall, cement over brick, tower was built in 1826 and lit with a 1st order Fresnel lens in 1856. In 1891-92, an elaborate granite keeper's house was built adjacent and the tower received its black & white striped paint job. In 1912, the tower was banded with steel straps, steel mesh and resurfaced. The Fresnel lens was upgraded in 1933 and electrified in 1939, when the US Coast Guard assumed control of the station. In 1952, the Fresnel lens was removed and a Crouse-Hinds beacon installed... lasting until 1973, when the light was decommissioned and the light removed. The abandoned and deteriorating tower was scheduled for demolition in 1981, but a newly formed Fire Island Lighthouse Preservation Society, stepped up, raised funds and restored the lighthouse. The Coast Guard turned the light over to the National Park Service, which leases the site to the Society. Fire Island Lighthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1981 and the light tower was reactivated with a new electric beacon in 1986. This view is from a pier on the north side.