Buffalo Main Light . Lake Erie . New York . Watercolor . 9" x 12"
... Built at the mouth of the Buffalo River on Lake Erie, this 60-foot, octagonal limestone, Buffalo Main light tower replaced it's 1818 predecessor in 1833 and remained in operation until 1914. The tower entered the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. Presently, it stands adjacent to the US Coast Guard Station and the site is open to the public. The 23-foot tall, 1903 white steel, bottle shaped, Buffalo North Breakwater South Side Light... formerly located north of the Buffalo River, is also exhibited at this site.