Harbour Town Light . Hilton Head Island . South Carolina . Watercolor . 9" x 12"
... the Harbour Town Light is a 90-foot tall, hexagonal tower, privately funded and built in 1969 as a navigation aid for the Harbour Town Marina and the Harbour Town Yacht Club. The first lighthouse on Hilton Head Island was erected in 1863, with an integral keeper's home, on land belonging to the Leamington Plantation.... and was known as the Hilton Head Front Range Lighthouse or Leamington Lighthouse. The front range lighthouse no longer exists. A rear range light, a skeleton tower built in 1880 and deactivated in 1932, still exists and entered the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.