Eisenlohr Hall . The President's House . University of Pennsylvania . Watercolor . 12" x 16"
... architect Horace Trumbauer (1868-1938), completed construction of this West Philadelphia, Beaux Arts style mansion in 1912 for cigar magnates, Otto and Josephine Eisenlohr. Upon her death in 1939, Josephine Eisenlohr bequeathed the property to the University of Pennsylvania, which then housed various different schools, centers and offices in the building until 1981. Eisenlohr Hall, as it was then named, was completely renovated in 1981 by the architectural firm of Dagit-Saylor to become the on-campus residence of Penn's then current president, Dr. Sheldon Hackney (1933-2013), and future presidents. This view illustrates the lawn behind the home, which has remained faithful to the design, envisioned and laid out by Trumbauer in 1907.