Lehigh & New England Railroad #601 . Whitcomb 65DE19a . Martins Creek, Pennsylvania . Watercolor . 14" x 20"
... this 65 ton, center cab, 65DE19a Road Switcher was built by the Whitcomb Locomotive Company, of Rochelle, Illinois... a subsidiary of the Baldwin Locomotive Works, in 1944, on contract for the United States Army Transportation Corps as USATC #8452. A pair of 283 horsepower supercharged Buda diesel engines, 2 Westinghouse electric generators and 4 traction motors powered the Whitcomb 65DE19a. USATC #8452 served with the US Army in Italy until the war in Europe ended in 1945, returned to the States, was decommissioned and sold. #8452 was acquired by the Lehigh & New England (LNE) Railroad in 1947, renumbered as #601 and used as a yard switcher, shoving coal loads onto a 3 car, single dump trestle at the Alpha Cement Plant in Martins Creek until 1954. LNE #601 was then sold to Panther Valley Coal and eventually scrapped. #601 is the only Whitcomb that the LNE ever rostered. In 1952, all Whitcomb Locomotive production moved to the Baldwin Locomotive Works in Eddystone, Pennsylvania and the Whitcomb name was dropped. Baldwin suspended manufacture of all Whitcomb models in 1956. The Buda diesel proved to be problematic over time, with overheating issues, and many of these locomotives were repowered with twin Caterpillar engines.
... a sister Whitcomb 65DE19a, with similar military heritage, last working on Pennypacker Avenue in Philadelphia, and still with its original Buda diesel engines, is now repainted in replica LNE livery, re-numbered as #602 and sits at the Wanamaker, Kempton & Southern (WK&S) yard in Kempton, PA.
... the back story on the #601 & #602.
A Giclee Print is available of this watercolor painting / railroad art.