Watercolor… an official Cap Chat (Cape Cat) Lighthouse was erected in 1871, on the north coast of the Gaspe Peninsula, where the St. Lawrence River opens into the Gulf of St. Lawrence. The location was driven primarily for the need to mark a dangerous narrowing of the gulf at this point… as an aid to fishing boats attempting to navigate inbound through the mouth of the river. In 1875, a replacement tower measuring 26 feet in height… half of it being a wood box base and the other half being the immense cylindrical steel light apparatus from the first tower, was built with a nice attached, keeper’s house. The entire facility sits on a rock shelf, on a cliff 100 feet above sea level. Illustrated, the 3rd tower built in 1909… sits slightly to the east of the original keeper’s house and now places the light at 133 feet above the water. The box base is constructed of concrete with wood siding above and still mounts the original steel light housing and Fresnel lens. The Cap Chat Light’s third-order Fresnel lens was deactivated in 2007. Currently a smaller luminaire installed within the lantern room maintains its navigational presence.
Size of Painting: 9" x 12" ... a giclee print is 9x12" on 11x14" paper.
A Giclee Print Is Available Of This Painting: