Watercolor… Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, North Carolina. In 1803, a 90-foot sandstone tower was first erected on these coastal dunes, that proved to be all but invisible for its purpose. In 1852, the tower was raised to a height exceeding 150 feet. The light’s Fresnel lens was removed by Confederate forces in 1861 and replaced by the Union in 1862… however, the tower had been so throughly damaged by the war, that a new tower was the only reasonable alternative to a costly rebuild. A new lighthouse, the current 208-foot tall, conical brick structure, was built beginning in 1868 and lit in 1870. This Hatteras tower received it’s distinctive black & white, barber pole, paint job in 1873. Unfortunately, over time the new tower, keeper’s house and ancillary structures, proved to be sited much to close to the ocean and what hadn’t yet been swept away, was in danger of collapse . In 1999 the lighthouse and all remaining structures were moved 2,900 feet inland, to avoid the continuing threat of shoreline erosion. Presently, a 24″ inch. DCB 224 beacon, installed in 1982, lights up the night sky. The Hatteras Light is in the National Register of Historic Places as of 1978. And this is how she looks at her newer and current location in 2007. Cape Hatteras, as well as most of the Outer Banks Islands are really just large piles of sand, which constantly shift. Hatteras Island moves approximately thirteen feet to the west each year.
Size of Painting: 14" x 20" ... a giclee print is 9x12" on 11x14" paper.
A Giclee Print Is Available Of This Painting: