Watercolor… The Central Railroad of New Jersey (CNJ)… aka: Jersey Central… aka: Jersey Central Lines… began life in 1831 as the Elizabethtown & Somerville Railroad before becoming the CNJ in 1849. Central New Jersey expanded into Northeastern Pennsylvania on trackage built for it by the Lehigh Coal & Navigation Company and after that, the CNJ morphed through a series of incorporations and name changes until 1965, when the CNJ and the Lehigh Valley Railroad consolidated their Lehigh River rail lines and operations. When its main customer… the anthracite coal mining industry in Pennsylvania disappeared… both CNJ and LVR coal transport operations came to an end in 1972. Central New Jersy & the LVR were
subsequently absorbed by the CONRAIL merger of 1976.
A pair of EMD F3A, diesel electric locomotives, CNJ #56 & #57, occasionally pulled excursions for the Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway out of Jim Thorpe. CNJ #56 & #57 have since been relocated to Steamtown National Historic Site in Scranton, Pennsylvania… painted in the heritage colors of the Lackawanna Railroad and teamed with a Lackawanna B unit. The trio performed for the cameras at the “Streamliners at Spencer” event,
at the end of May, 2014.