Watercolor… two adjacent piers were built in 1829, to establish a port where the “Konyiat Creek” empties out of Ohio and into The Great Lake Erie. In 1835 a small light was erected on the East pier, followed by a larger replacement tower and keeper’s house in 1859 and 1872, respectively… and a beacon placed on the West pier. By 1885, both piers and luminaries lay in ruin. In 1896, the piers were rebuilt in stone, as two breakwaters, extending farther into the lake, with a new lighthouse on the extreme West end. In 1910, the breakwater pair was again rebuilt to now extend 4,500 feet into Lake Erie. And in 1920, yet another replacement, a two story, integrated, concrete lighthouse and tower was erected on the end of the West breakwater. This lasted until the mid 1930’s, when it too was demolished and replaced by the current, 60-foot tall (the lantern room was removed and replaced with a beacon in 1972), slim, beveled edge, square, steel plate tower (the identical 72-foot tall, Huron Harbor Light, both built by F. P. Dillon and W. G. Will and erected in the same year, 1935). A small beacon presently illuminates the end of the East breakwater. The US Coast Guard deactivated the Conneaut Light and offered to transfer ownership to any qualified entity in 2007… but no state or local government agency stepped up. It languished and was eventually purchased and passed into private hands in 2011 and was restored. The Conneaut West Breakwater Lighthouse was entered into the National Register of Historic Places in 1992.
Size of Painting: 9" x 12" ... a giclee print is 9x12" on 11x14" paper.
A Giclee Print Is Available Of This Painting: