Watercolor… this little, 14-foot tall, square brick box of a tower was erected and first lit in 1871… to augment two smaller, existing lights marking Baker’s Island near Salem, Massachusetts. A 5th order Fresnel lens, with a fixed red light, glowed at 25-feet above high tide. In 1906, a 4th order Fresnel was retrofitted , followed by a 6th order Fresnel in 1910. The Derby Wharf Light was deactivated in 1977 and ownership transferred to the National Park Service in 1979. In 1983, the light was restored by the “Friends of Salem Maritime” organization and relit with a red, solar luminary. In 2009, the base exterior was repointed and refurbished by local Boy Scouts, led by Thomas Croteau, who had undertaken the rehabilitation as an Eagle Scout project.
Size of Painting: 9" x 12" ... a giclee print is 9x12" on 11x14" paper.
A Giclee Print Is Available Of This Painting: