Pen & Ink w/ Watercolor Wash… Furness Library. University of Pennsylvania. Department of Facilities Development. Entry portico of the Library, designed by architect Frank Heyling Furness / Furness Evans Company, built 1890… the 2nd building constructed on Penn’s new campus after the University moved across the Schuylkill River and into West Philadelphia. The building entered the National Register of Historic Places in 1972 and was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1985. It has been enlarged with additions and received several restorations over the years. In 1991, the building was renamed the Anne and Jerome Fisher Fine Arts Library.
This illustration is a 1980 design study to create a new exterior entryway, mimicking the main library entrance through the existing portico, into the Arthur Ross Gallery, located inside the Robert Rhodes McGoodwin addition of 1931. This proposed revision to the building was not pursued.