Gouache… on the north side of East Broad, a short walk across the street from the Quakertown Train Station (built 1902)… located between the former Philadelphia & Reading Railroad (P&R) tracks and Belmont Avenue… built in 1827 as the Strawn House… rests the Globe Hotel. The old Globe predates the railroad track, laid through Quakertown in 1857 to Bethlehem, by 30 years. In 1899, modifications by Lansdale architect, Milton B. Bean, created the elegant, towered addition to the establishment depicted in this illustration. Now, the building suffers from years of physical neglect and deterioration… a slow and sad ending to a proud history. To the north and behind the hotel, the Quakertown Traction Company (QTC, incorporated 1898) trolley line arched high over the P&R track. The QTC’s Richland trolley connection is gone since 1929, although the twin stone abutment piers still bracket the tracks.
Size of Painting: 30" x 40"