Watercolor… South Carolina’s Hilton Head Rear Range Light, is a hexagonal, skeleton structure erected over five, joined iron tubes and dates to 1880. It stands at 92-feet tall with a spiral staircase inside the cylindrical column. The lantern room is made of wood and originally contained a fixed red light. The Hilton Head Front Light, a more traditionally styled and literal keeper’s lighthouse, was moved several times as the inlet channel continually shifted and the buildings were damaged by earthquakes. The front lighthouse was eventually abandoned and replaced by a smaller, simpler and more mobile light in 1915. In the 1960’s, those keeper’s dwellings were dismantled and moved to nearby, Harbour Town. The rear range light was deactivated in 1932 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. The tower line of sight, always required a clearcut avenue through the forest… but now is pretty well closed in by trees and hard to see, unless you’re on the Arthur Hills Golf Course. Somehow… a Live Oak adjacent to the tower, estimated at between 400 and 450 years old, was spared, has survived and remains alive.
Size of Painting: 9" x 12" ... a giclee print is 9x12" on 11x14" paper.
A Giclee Print Is Available Of This Painting: