Watercolor… Manheim Township, Lancaster County. Built by John Russell in 1843, Hunsecker’s Covered Bridge, stretching out at 180-feet in length… is the longest covered bridge in Lancaster County… carrying Hunsecker Road over the Conestoga Creek. It is a Double Burr Arch Truss design that has been lifted and swept downstream by flood waters many times… until Hurricane Agnes finally finished her off in 1972. The bridge you see standing today, is an extensive rebuild, dating from 1973. This Hunsecker’s Bridge is not painted red and white. The wood siding looks to be either weathered Oak or Cedar and the portal ends are covered by the more recent practice, on some of these bridges, of battens overlapping board planks. The abutments and pointed stone wing walls, are not original. Every covered bridge in Lancaster County has been rehabilitated to some degree over the years… or there would not be any left standing.
Size of Painting: 12" x 16" ... a giclee print is 9x12" on 11x14" paper.
A Giclee Print Is Available Of This Painting: