Watercolor… the Ironton Railroad (IRR), formed in 1861, was a shortline, working the iron mines of Ironton, Siegersville and Orefield, then expanding to serve the cement plants built over the limestone belt under Catasauqua and Coplay, Pennsylvania… adding a Lehigh Valley Railroad (LVR) interchange at Coplay. The Ironton eventually rostered two Baldwin DS-4-4-1000’s (built 1948-1951)… #750 and #751. Each with the upgraded 606SC engine, producing 1,000 turbocharged horsepower. Illustrated… IRR Baldwin #751 with its red, IRR caboose #6, gliding past the old David Saylor vertical cement kilns in Coplay. The Ironton was swallowed up in the CONRAIL (CR) consolidations of 1976 and the #751 spent the remainder of its days switching the Allentown Yard… but by 1978, it was gone. Caboose #6 was built for the Reading Railroad (RDG #90738) in 1924 and acquired by the Ironton in 1953. It is the 2nd oldest surviving RDG caboose. It is cosmetically restored and sits at a trailhead entrance, along the former railroad right-of-way of what has been turned, in 1996, into the 9 mile long, Ironton Rail Trail. Saylor’s revolutionary 1874 vertical kilns were already obsolete by 1904, the cement plant was dismantled and the historic kilns were allowed to deteriorate; although a partial stabilization was performed in 2004, under the direction of the architectural firm of Spillman-Farmer, Bethlehem.
Size of Painting: 12" x 16" ... a giclee print is 9x12" on 11x14" paper.
A Giclee Print Is Available Of This Painting: