Watercolor… the Maryland & Pennsylvania Railroad (MPA), also known as the Ma & Pa Railroad, ran between York, Pennsylvania and Baltimore, Maryland from 1901 to 1958. Most of that original north, south roadbed is now abandoned, though 3.6 miles of active track, bisecting the historic site of Muddy Creek Forks in Pennsylvania, are owned and maintained by the Maryland & Pennsylvania Railroad Preservation Society. The station / general store is currently open to the public as part of the Ma & Pa Railroad Heritage Village. It is one of the buildings of the Muddy Creek Forks Historic District, entered on the National Register of Historic Places in 1994.
Illustrated… a 1901, 4-4-0 Richmond “American” steam engine, Maryland & Pennsylvania #6, at the head of a train consisting of a baggage car and several passenger coaches, as it eases up to the station platform, Southbound at Muddy Creek Forks, circa 1917. A 27-foot long, trestle bridge carries the main track over a section of a water raceway that powered a rolling mill, on this side of the main, just south of the station. The foreground track leads to a siding.