Watercolor… the Oswego West Pierhead… located at the mouth of the Oswego River, New York, feeding into Lake Ontario. The first Oswego Lighthouse, built in 1822, as an octagonal tower of stone, lasted until 1841. Between 1841 and 1869 a second stone tower was constructed and upgraded several times until it reached a height of 74 feet. A 3rd, more elaborate, replacement structure was built over a box crib located at the end of a new, mile long breakwater around 1881. The 4th and present Oswego West Pierhead Lighthouse was built in 1931, when the breakwater was extended further into Lake Ontario. The new structure is a 30×30 foot concrete building on top of a new 50×50 foot, stone and concrete crib base at the breakwater terminus. The corner tower held a red beacon 57 feet above the waterline. The City of Oswego acquired the deed to the decommissioned lighthouse in 2009, which is the year we visited… and is presently attempting to restore the facility. Interior repairs began in 2013 and in 2014, the H. Lee White Maritime Museum acquired the Lighthouse lease from the City of Oswego and continues with the restoration.
Size of Painting: 9" x 12" ... a giclee print is 9x12" on 11x14" paper.
A Giclee Print Is Available Of This Painting: