Watercolor… Bee Line Service straight through Black Rock Tunnel. The SD45 was built by EMD between 1965 and 1971, harboring a malicious V20 diesel engine, producing 3,600 hp (2,680 kW) on EMD’s original SD38 frame… until retrofitted with a revised engine block in 1967 and subsequent introductions of the SDP45, SD45X and the stretched dash-2’s… the SD45-2 and SD45T-2, between 1972 and 1975. The SD45 is the first locomotive to mount its radiators into the distinctive and now ubiquitous, high flared, rear hood for improved cooling of the dynamic brakes. The Reading Railroad (RDG) had five SD45’s… numbers 7600, 7601, 7602, 7603 and 7604, all built in 1967. They were all transferred to CONRAIL in 1976… and all but #7602 went to the Chicago and North Western Railway in 1982… and then, all scrapped in 1986. “Bee Line Service” was an RDG expedited train set, offering an on-demand, fast, point to point, enhanced customer-shipping option, available between 1966 and 1970.
… three tunnels were built by the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad to flatten the right-of-way between Philadelphia, Phoenixville and Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. The line contained the Black Rock, Flat Rock and Pulpit Rock (abandoned) Tunnels, as well as nine bridges. Opened in 1838, Black Rock Tunnel is the second rail tunnel constructed in the United States and the oldest still in use. Black Rock Tunnel immediately joins a closed-spandrel, stone and concrete, four arch bridge across the Schuylkill River at its west portal. The tunnel, bridge and mainline track is now owned by Norfolk Southern Railway and maintained by the NS Harrisburg Division.