Watercolor… New Holland, Lancaster County. Also known as Oberholtzer’s Mill Covered Bridge, the 107 foot long, Red Run Bridge has been replaced by a utilitarian concrete structure, spanning Muddy Creek. This bridge faces, the now extended, Martin Church Road. Contrary to the usual method of salvaging and relocating an obsolete and historic bridge… both Red Run, Martin Church roads and Muddy Creek itself, were rerouted around it, and this covered bridge now stretches across relatively dry land. Presently, the Red Run Bridge sits adjacent, on private land belonging to the Red Run Campground. The bridge is another Double Burr Arch Truss construction by Elias McMellen, this one erected in 1866. The well preserved, Oberholtzer’s Grist Mill, built by Menno Eberly and located on the north side of Martin Church Road, dates to 1894. The Red Run Bridge currently looks a bit more forlorn than illustrated and snow covers a multitude of distractions. The cavernous structure is used for campground storage… there is however, evidence of replacement siding and it now has a metal roof.
Size of Painting: 12" x 16" ... a giclee print is 9x12" on 11x14" paper.
A Giclee Print Is Available Of This Painting: