Rondout Light – NY

Watercolor… The first Rondout light, of wood construction, was established at the entrance to Rondout Creek in 1837. The second, made of bluestone, was built in 1867, but abandoned in 1916 and demolished in 1950. And the third and current Rondout Lighthouse, made of brick, was built in 1916, automated in 1954 and then vacated. In 2002 ownership was transferred to the City of Kingston, New York. This, the existing light, sits on a man-made peninsula, jutting out into the Hudson River. At one time there were 14 lighthouses, of various shapes & sizes, situated along the Hudson, stretching from the Erie Canal, south to Manhattan. Six no longer exist & one has been relocated. Presently, the Rondout Lighthouse is under the authority of the Hudson River Maritime Museum. Interesting side fact… the Statue of Liberty, in New York Harbor, is classified as a lighthouse…

Size of Painting: 12" x 16" ... a giclee print is 9x12" on 11x14" paper.

A Giclee Print Is Available Of This Painting: