Watercolor… the first Saugerties Lighthouse on New York’s Hudson River, circa late 1830’s, was destroyed by a fire in 1848. A 2nd light was built in 1850, but only survived until 1867, when the Hudson devoured its foundation. Bits of the second structure’s base remain adjacent to the current, brick composite, tower and keeper’s house, built on a new hydrodynamic, circular granite crib in 1869. The light was automated in 1954 and the keeper dismissed. Ten years later the lighthouse had deteriorated to the extent that the Coast Guard scheduled for its demolition. The facility was saved from destruction by Ruth Reynolds Glunt and Architect Elise Barry and entered into the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. The completely restored lighthouse is now owned by the Saugerties Lighthouse Conservancy and operates as a museum and bed & breakfast destination.
Size of Painting: 12" x 16" ... a giclee print is 9x12" on 11x14" paper.
A Giclee Print Is Available Of This Painting: