Watercolor… the first St. Marks Lighthouse was built in the late 1820’s, on a point of land, identifying the inlet to the Port of St. Marks, where the Wakulla River empties into the Apalachee Bay… and the Gulf of Mexico on the northwest Florida coast. A replacement tower was immediately built in 1830. Erosion sufficiently threatened this 2nd tower by 1842 and a 3rd, the current lighthouse, was completed further inland in 1843. A breakwater was constructed following a hurricane the same year. Another hurricane in 1851 wiped out the keeper’s quarters. By 1854 a new keeper’s house, a more robust breakwater and a new foundation under the light tower were constructed. Both the tower and house suffered severe damage again during the Civil War. And then a hurricane in 1873 inflicted still more abuse to the tower and house. Repairs and stabilization were performed by the US Coast Guard in 2000 and ownership of the entire site was transferred to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Service in 2013.
Size of Painting: 9" x 12" ... a giclee print is 9x12" on 11x14" paper.
A Giclee Print Is Available Of This Painting: