Watercolor… Georgia’s original 1810, 85-foot tall, oil fired, tapered, octagonal, St. Simons Island Lighthouse was destroyed by Confederate forces in 1862, to deprive the Union Navy of any navigational aid. Ten years later, in 1872, the Federal Government built this new, 104- foot brick tower with a 3rd order Fresnel lens. A 1000-watt electric lamp was installed in 1934, operations transferred to the US Coast Guard in 1939, and the light, automated in 1953. In 1972, the Coastal Georgia Historical Society began a restoration of the Keeper’s House, turning it into a museum. The tower was restored in 1991 and again in 1998… and transferred to the Historical Society in 2004. The light remains an active navigational aid to entry into St. Simons Sound.
Size of Painting: 12" x 9" ... a giclee print is 12x9" on 14x11" paper.
A Giclee Print Is Available Of This Painting: